It’s important to note that currently the IELTS One Skill Retake is only available at the IDP Melbourne test centre. IELTS plan to roll out this product to other test centres in Australia in 2023. E2 will keep you updated on the roll out of the IELTS One Skill Retake test.
So, what is IELTS One Skill Retake, and how can it help you?
If you didn’t reach your desired score on one section of the test, the IELTS One Skill Retake (OSR) could be an option for you. It’s an opportunity to retake just one section of the IELTS exam (Listening, Reading, Writing or Speaking), rather than the whole thing.
How does the One Skill Retake option work?
The IELTS One Skill Retake option is currently only available at IDP Melbourne. You must be able to travel to the IDP Melbourne test centre to take advantage of this option.
Before you can take the One Skill Retake option, you will need to register for the IELTS exam as you normally would. When you receive your test results, you will see a score for each of the four sections of the exam. If you are unhappy with your score in one specific section, you can choose to retake that section only. Your scores for the other skills will be carried over from your previous exam. Note, you must take the One Skill Retake within 60 days from your original test.
To retake a section, you will need to pay an additional fee of $259 and register for the One Skill Retake option. You can choose to retake the same section as many times as you wish, although you will need to pay the additional fee each time.
The format of the One Skill Retake is the same as the original, except that you are only sitting for the skill you have selected to re-take. You will be able to save time by not needing to complete the other three skill tests.
You will receive a new test report form and you can choose whether to use an old report or use your new test report form.
Is the One Skill Retake option right for you?
Deciding whether to take the One Skill Retake option or to retake the entire exam can be a difficult decision. Here are a few things to consider when making your choice:
1. Cost: The One Skill Retake option can be more cost-effective than retaking the entire exam. However, you will need to pay the additional fee each time you retake a section, so the cost can add up over time.
2. Time: The One Skill Retake option may be a good choice if you don’t have the time to prepare for the entire exam again. However, keep in mind that you will need to find time to study for and take the one section you are retaking. Read our blog post to know much time you need to prepare for IELTS.
3. Confidence: If you are confident in your ability to pass the other three sections of the exam, the One Skill Retake option may be a good choice. However, if you are struggling in multiple areas, it may be more beneficial to retake the entire exam.
4. Eligibility: Prior to booking your IELTS One Skill Retake, ensure you have checked this is accepted by the necessary organisations; whether it be a higher education organisation or an immigration department.
Here are some tips for retaking the IELTS exam and specifically focusing on one skill area:
1. Identify the skill area that you need to improve in. The IELTS exam tests four skills: Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking. It’s important to know which skill area you need to focus on to prepare for the OSR exam most effectively.
2. Find resources to help you improve with a free trial or a paid package from E2. Start a free trial with E2, get access to 100’s of practise questions, sample live classes and more. Upgrade to get access to mock tests, teacher tutorials, teacher assessments, unlimited live classes and more!
3. Practise with an E2 Mock test. It’s a good idea to time yourself while practising to understand how you might perform under timed, exam conditions. You will grow your confidence to perform at your best on exam day.
4. Seek feedback from a tutor or teacher. Having someone knowledgeable give you feedback on your practice tests and offer guidance is incredibly helpful in identifying areas for improvement. E2 offers a one-to-one teacher tutorial to help you identify your strengths and weaknesses to help you improve fast.
5. Make a study schedule and stick to it. Consistent study and practice are key to improving your skills. Make a schedule that works for you and try to stick to it as closely as possible. Check out our post on 9 important IELTS test-day tips for extra advice.
Overall, the One Skill Retake option is a great choice if you are looking to improve your overall IELTS score but only need to perform better in one specific area. It can help you achieve your study, migration or work goals by giving you a second chance to prove your skills with the IELTS One Skill Retake.
With E2 packages and our helpful teachers, you will gain the confidence to perform at your best when it comes to sitting your high-stakes IELTS test.
Learn more about IELTS One Skill Retake.
Learn about IELTS topics and essay questions that you might across in your exam.
Did you know you can take IELTS Academic online? Ready our blog post today!
Start Now. It’s Free ✌️
Sign up for a free trial! Get access to ✔︎ Study Pathway ✔︎ Sample Live Classes ✔︎ Practice Tests